One of the many complaints I hear about natural’s is about how dry or hard their hair is. And in search of this “miracle product” to that will make it magically softer. The truth of the matter is there is no such thing. The one thing you need to know about natural hair is that the kinkier/courser (tightly coiled) it is, the drier it will be in many cases.
Think of it like this, if your hair has more kinks, it’s going to be harder for your scalp’s natural oils to travel down your strands. However, with the proper TLC you can still bring out your strand’s natural sheen and revitalize your tresses.
Buy Water-Based Moisturizers
Unless the first or second ingredient is water, it’s not a true moisturizer. Don’t be fooled by products that claim to moisturize your hair, but don’t even have water (or it’s listed as one of the last ingredients.)
Here are some good moisturizers for natural hair:
Jane Carter Nourish and Shine (Even though this is mostly oils and butters, it moisturizes well when applied to damp hair):
• Helps reduce dryness on the scalp and skin
• All natural nourish and shine
• Made from all natural ingredients
Shea Moisture Products:
• Coconut oil: Hydrates and protects while reducing frizz
• Silk protein: Smooths hair for a soft, silky feel
• Neem oil: Controls frizz while adding brilliant shine
• For thick, curly hair
Jamaican Black Castor Oil:
• Promotes Hair Growth
• Promotes Health Hair
• Great Moisturizer
Qhemet Biologics Amla and Olive Heavy Cream:
• Nourishingly rich blend of old world oils, organic herbs and natural humectants leaves coarse, dry and brittle hair extra soft, healthy and supple
• Contains Amla, Brahmi and African Aloe, premium Afro-Indian botanicals used for thousands of years to nourish the scalp and strengthen and condition hair. MSM sulfur nurtures follicles and encourages healthy hair growth, Mediterranean Olive Oil delivers emollience and lubricity while Vegetable Glycerin and pure African Castor Oil lends sheen, softness and intense moisture.
• Does not contain mineral oil, lanolin, proteins, silicones, artificial fragrances, dyes or parabens.
• 100% Vegetarian
Oyin Hair Dew:
• This creamy, conditioning leave-in is light enough for every day. It’s great on ‘naked’ hair immediately after a cleanse, or as a way to reinvigorate tired hair all the way through your hair care cycle.