Here are 9 ways to improve your natural hair and to prevent damage to help you meet your hair goal lengths!
1. Protective style your hair. Wear simple styles that offer little manipulation of your tresses and hide your ends which are the oldest parts of your hair. Buns and up-dos are classic and very easy to do.
2. Stop heat styling your hair. Air drying is the best thing you can do to keep your hair on your head. Limit heat styling to rare special occasions
3. Never comb or brush dry hair to style. Finger comb or wear hair in twist outs, twists, braids or braids out to minimize breakage.
4. Comb hair from the bottom up. When your hair is soaking with conditioner, you can comb it with a large tooth comb or Denman brush to detangle. Do so carefully, working from the bottom up.
5. Never ever tease your hair. This is a cardinal sin against natural hair (well hair in general but some don’t know it)
6. Don’t pull hair apart like a wishbone. If your hair is tangled, gently pull it up and apart in stead of pulling it apart like would a wishbone.
7. Use hair accessories with no hanging parts or exposed metal. Banana clips, Satin Scrunchies, Goodie Flex Barrettes, Ouchless bobby pins & Ouchless/No Snag elastic bands are the best for styling hair so that it does not get damaged.
8. Avoid pulling hair tight at the hairline. Doing so will recede your hairline and damage the follicles permanently.
9. Check your nails. Hanging nails will damage hair. Always make sure your nails are smooth and even before hair styling.